Décor & Gardening
In the garden
Tasks for April
• Plant spring bulbs (daffodils, ranunculus or freesias) after Easter in areas that receive sun to semi-shade.
• Water and fertilize azaleas, camellias, and gardenias that are forming flower buds for spring.
• Start planting pansies, primulas, petunias, violas, Iceland poppies, calendula, Bellis perennis, and nemesia for winter colour.
• Lift and divide agapanthus, arums, irises, daylilies and wild irises.
• Sow fast-growing Namaqualand daisies, alyssum, linaria, Virginian stocks and California poppies.
• Rake up fallen leaves for the compost heap or use as mulch.
• Plant cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and kale seedlings.
• Mow the lawn once a week and fertilize with 5:1:5 or Vigorosa once more before winter.
• Protect conifers from conifer aphid by spraying monthly with Ludwig’s Insect Spray or Pyrol.