Décor & Gardening
Add a dash of colour and elegance this Stone Fruit summer
These sumptuous fruits are now within reach and set to be the crowning features this summer season. Think health and beauty in fruit when planning your next get together, whether it’s a birthday, wedding, family gathering, a Christmas feast or just a traditional braai and add a dash of elegance and freshness with some tantalizing stone fruit dishes.
Here’s just one way you can enjoy nature’s take-away gems while adding colour, vibrancy and abundant flavour to your table: Justin Bonello’s Stone Fruit Slaw is both versatile and tasty.
Stone Fruit Slaw
This light and refreshing crunchy salad really works well as side with chicken or pork.
- 1 tablespoon of Rice Vinegar
- a big glug of Olive Oil
- a couple of pinches Brown Sugar
- the juice and rind of 1 Lime
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- half a red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- a chunk of Fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 Spring Onions, finely sliced
- a handful of Fresh Mint Leaves, finely chopped
- about 2 to 3 handfuls of various types of firm Stone Fruit, pitted and cut into strips
To make a vinaigrette for the slaw, mix together all the ingredients except the fruit, mint and coriander in a salad bowl. Finish by tossing the fruit in the dressing to coat and serve topped with fresh mint and coriander.
Here’s a checklist of the main varieties and when they will be available:
For more inspiring stone fruit recipes, check out http://beautifulcountrybeautifulfruit.com